My New Online Store!!!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

My Natural Journey

My name’s Shanay. I went natural two times, lol. First let me start out saying why I went natural. Like most people I grew up putting relaxers in my hair at a young age. In my preteens I started wearing the curl in my hair. You may know it as the jerry curl, that’s what they called it back in the day. I had the curl in my hair up until my twenty’s. I then put the straight relaxer in my hair again. I wasgetting to the point where the relaxers where getting old for me. What motivated me the most was when Chris Rock came out with the documentary film ‘Good Hair’. When I watched the film I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. What the chemicals were doing to people’s heads and hair. I was like “no way” am I going to put that stuff in my hair again.
Remember when I said I went natural two times. My first attempt (end of 2009) Natural, it was going good the first three months. The first month I did the big chop. Couldn’t believe what I just did, but loved the results. Then I was getting to the point where I didn’t know what to do with my hair. How to style it, nothing. I was so used to having a relaxer; I didn’t know how to care for natural hair. Like what products to use, nothing. So, I got a little discouraged and put the perm back in my hair. As the months went by I knew that I needed a change and so I went natural again for the last time (July 2011). I slowly cut my hair a little every three months. I looked for some good transition styles, to keep my hair from breakage. I did a lot of searching about caring for natural hair. I starting getting used to the natural hair and started wearing it proudly. This is the hair that God gave me and I am not trying to be like somebody I’m not. As my hair started growing I couldn’t believe how kinky and coiled my hair was. I love my natural hair and so glad I stayed natural for the last time.
The reason I came out with a natural blog is to show young and older women that you can make that step and go natural. Wear your hair with pride. Even if you get a little discouraged at first, hold on. At the end the results are great. It will make you feel awesome. I will be sharing my favorite styles, products and hair treatments that I am using for my hair. I hope this blog will motivate you to go natural!!!

8 comments:

  1. Shanay, great news and brave to be natural in a world where everyone is using chemicals, weaves, wigs etc.
    Do you see a major difference in maintenance and time though? this is because many people are busy and like to wash and go rather than spending hours doing their hair every day.
    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see a big difference in caring for my hair. When I wake up in the morning, all I do to my hair is spray it with water and put one of my favorite oils in my hair and I 'm finished. It doesn't take a long time to do my hair. I will say less then 3mins. If I don't want to deal with my hair everyday, I just two strand twist my hair. Leave it in my hair about 2 to 3 weeks. Just put shea butter on my hair everyday. It looks better than ever with less the effort and I love it!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic post! I feel you when you say that "the relaxers were getting old." It's kinda like you wake up one day and say, " Well, its been 6 weeks, i need a touch up." And then you sit and think about it and you're like, " What?! No, I dont NEED a touch up. ugh, to Heck with it!" I know exactly what you mean. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Post!! I two am on my second turn as a natural and can relate to your statement about not knowing how to style once it started growing. The second time around has been great, so great that the month of march marked 1 year for me. Anyway I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long is your hair now? I could not find a photo update on the site. Thanks!
    http://www.keepitnaturalsisters.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair is bout neck length. You will never tell because it really shrink up a lot. I will put up pictures with my hair in mini twist soon.

      Delete
  5. Nice Site!Will be Sharing! www.blackconvo.info

    ReplyDelete